Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Financially Fit -- My Recent Lessons

I've been doing a Dave Ramsey study on his 2nd edition of The Total Money Makeover.  It's been a blessing to attack my school loan debt and learn how to invest more wisely.  The Lord has provided me with a great job I really enjoy.  I want to enjoy it now while I can because there is a chance I won't always have this job.  I am in Sales and our job is extremely risky.  "That's why they pay us what they do," is always what my boss reminds me of.  Sales can be a scary thing if you're not passionate about it or if you suck at it.  I happen to believe God has blessed me with an ability to Sale.  (Sorry for the Job Description and the ranting.)

Anyways, I have really enjoyed The Total Money Makeover because I am attacking debt, able to save 15%, and Tithe more frequently.  I am learning about all kinds of things like Mutual Funds, Roth IRA's, and how to invest for Short Term focuses and Long Term focuses.  It takes a lot of discipline and willing to live below your means now so you can be ok down the road.  It all comes down to a heart issue really.  Are you ok with driving a busted up 2002 Ford Taurus named Dolores the Taurus?  YUP!!!  She gets me exactly where I need to go and I don't have a car payment, so I can save.  I love it.  Every time I wash Dolores, I get a new since of pride towards her and remember how awesome she has been.  I will drive Dolores until her wheels fall off.  I've been made fun of for always wearing the same shirts, so it's not secret that I don't shop a lot.  I recently went on a big shopping spree before Christmas though and was actually happy about it afterwards.  During the process however, it was hard for me to fork over the money for it.  In Latin America, my co-workers tell me, I'm "CODO!'  It's pretty much saying I'm cheap.  To sum it all up, I am hoping to be debt free from college loans by the end of this year, Lord willing.

Readers, I encourage you to, as Dave Ramsey would say, "live like no one else today, so that tomorrow, you can live like no one else."

Save up!


No comments:

Post a Comment