Sunday, December 29, 2013

East of Eden

I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck.  It's such a good book.  I'm not very far into it right now but there are two brothers, Charles and Adam.  Their father's name was Cyrus who has just passed away.  Charles loved his father and tried everything to get him to notice him.  Cyrus' affections were always for Adam.  

Right now, Cyrus has just passed away and Charles asks Adam if he ever loved their father.  Adam says that he did not.

Charles was the more rough and tough of the two brothers.  Cyrus, the father, poured a lot of time and energy into Adam who was more calm, soft spoken, and reserved.  One time when they were younger, Charles pretty much beat the tar out of Adam.

At any rate, when Adam told Charles that there were times that he loved their father and times he did not, Charles began to sob.  This particular scene is such a true depiction of the importance of a father in the lives of their children.  Here you see Charles as a grown man with a calloused heart affected by the ill treatment his father showed him as a child and into adulthood.

I feel as though in my family, my brothers and me share each others victories and good times.  As I write this, this reminds me that I need to call my brother Jason who just celebrated another birthday!

We were well loved by our parents in my house.  We are all very different in our own unique ways, just like Adam and Charles were, but know that we will always be there for one another.  This coming year, my youngest brother will be getting married and I couldn't be more proud of him.  Jason has ventured out and started his own business.  Chris is our intellect and Seminary Student, and also happens to be very well read.  Could not be the person I am today without my dad's direction, a few butt kicking from my older brothers, and a life time of memories with my 3 brothers.

I'll have more to come as I get further along and meet new characters within this great read, East of Eden.



No comments:

Post a Comment